E–commerce (electronic commerce) is the activity of electronically buying or selling of products on online services or over the Internet.
E-commerce business in Uganda have been flourishing in the last 10 years especially after the government sought to strengthen the country’s digital economy. With a dynamic economy and a large population proficient with digital technologies, Uganda is the fastest-growing market for e-commerce in East Africa. Several ecommerce platforms and digital applications are already fighting for market share.
Several e-commerce actors are already in place. In this article we will look at the top 5 e-commerce platforms operating in Uganda in 2022
1. Jumia Uganda
Founded in Lagos, Nigeria in 2012, Jumia was officially launched in Uganda in 2014. Jumia has over the years grown to become Uganda’s biggest and most popular e-commerce platform in Uganda. With over 1,000,000 monthly users, Jumia Uganda is with no doubt currently the biggest online shop in Uganda.
Jumia operates by signing agreement with different vendors, shops and store owners within Kampala and selling their products.
Jumia offers a variety of products, from supermarket, phones and tablet, electronics, fashions, furniture, car electronics and accessories and many more.
Because of its customer-centric user interface, shopping on Jumia is a breeze. The platform has a powerful User Interface (UI) which makes navigation and purchase process seamless.
In addition, Jumia also offers a cash on delivery payment method giving their customers a complete online trust experience since they won’t have to pay before delivery.
Payment Options accepted by Jumia Uganda
- Cash on Delivery (CoD)
- MTN MoMo
- Airtel Money
Shipping Methods used by Jumia Uganda
- Standard Shipping (Door-step Delivery)
- Pick-up Stations
Shipping fees of Jumia
Jumia delivery fee also known as shipping fee varies depending on the size of the items and the location where the item is supposed to be delivered. Shipping fee within Kampala is much cheaper compared to places outside Kampala. For example, Jumia will charge UGX 5,000 to deliver a phone within Kampala while it will charge UGX 8,100 to deliver a phone upcountry.
Why you should shop on Jumia?
- Wide range of products on their App
- Fast delivery – Jumia Express
- Easy return – Quick refund
Why you should not shop on Jumia Uganda?
- Some products are not as advertised (use of deceptive images)
- Product prices are higher than those in the local market
- Many customers complain of counterfeit products especially Jumia products that are shipped from abroad (Jumia Global)
- High delivery fees
- Charges a delivery fee even when you personally collect item from their pickup station
- Pickup stations are only available in select locations, mostly in central Uganda
2. Kikuu Uganda
Kikuu is a Chinese owned online retail site with operations in Uganda and other Africa countries. Kikuu Uganda is literally a drop shipping store with no stock at hand. All items on their site imported from China upon confirmation of an order from a buyer. Kikuu is a go to place for fashion accessories and consumer electronics.
Payment Methods accepted by Kikuu Uganda
- MTN MoMo
- Airtel Money
Shipping methods at Kikuu Uganda
- Door-step delivery
- Pick-up station
- Apparently, Kikuu Uganda offers free shipping on all orders
Why you should shop on Kikuu Uganda?
- Easy payments method
- Large catalogue of products
- Cheap products
- Free shipping on all orders
- Extensive pickup station network
Why you should not shop on Kikuu Uganda?
- Very poor customer care
- They sell fake products according to reviews
- Does not accept Cash on Delivery
- Poor quality products
- Longer delivery times of over 30 days
- Low reputation because company is not known despite having existed here for over 5years
3. Kikuubo Online Uganda
Kikuuboonline is a free app available on the Google Play Store and the Apple app store that enables people to buy in wholesale from downtown Kampala (Kikuubo). Categories of products you can purchase using Kikuuboonline include pharmaceuticals, alcoholic beverages, baby products, toiletries, batteries, food, cosmetics, herbs, insecticides and many more. It delivers to mainly Kampala and surrounding areas.
Kikuuboonline site is operated by Pusha Online Ltd. They are a limited company registered in Uganda under company number 80020001117435. Their registered address is P.O Box 70516, Plot 15, Enterprise Road, Ntinda Industrial Area Kampala, Uganda.
Payment methods accepted by Kikuuboonline
- Cash on Delivery
- Mobile Money
Shipping methods at Kikuuboonline
- Standard delivery (door-step)
Shipping fees at Kikuuboonline
Shipping fee at Kikuuboonline varies depending on the size of the items you are ordering and the loaction where it will be delivered.
Why you should shop on Kikuuboonline?
- Free delivery on some products
- Faster delivery
- Wide range of products
4. Jiji Uganda
Buy and Sell for free! That is the Jiji Uganda slogan. Launched in June 2019 after acquiring OLX Uganda, Jiji has thrived as the biggest classified marketplace in Uganda. Jiji has positioned itself as Uganda’s most preferred classifieds platform where you can buy and sell anything.
With Jiji, if you have any unwanted item(s), you simply take its photo, upload it on their website and get customers real quick.
Unlike regular online shops and e-commerce marketplaces like Jumia, Jiji does not accept online payments. Business on Jiji is between a seller and a buyer. Once you identify an item you like on their platform, you contact the seller, meet up, inspect the item and pay cash if the item is per the description and meets your expectations. Jiji team highly advice their customers to see the item before paying for it.
Payment methods accepted by Jiji Uganda
- Cash on Delivery
Please note that Jiji’s business model does not allow online transactions since the business is between a seller and a buyer. They are basically a marketplace connecting a buyer and a seller.
Shipping methods by Jiji Uganda
Shipping fees at Jiji Uganda
- No delivery fees involved at Jiji Uganda since seller and buyer meet in person.
Why you should consider using Jiji Uganda?
- Multiples deals of used items at competitive prices
- Freedom to bargain. Sellers are willing to negotiate
- Pay cash on delivery
- Find buyers near you thus no need to pay delivery fees
- Great platform for getting rid of unwanted stuff
Why you should be careful while using Jiji?
- Hub for scammers
- No returns
- No money back guarantee
- Risk of buying stolen or used items
- It is more of a hyper local platform and you need to continuously search for products in order to get a great deal.
- Delivery times depend on the reliability of the seller.
- Jiji makes it easier for merchants to register on the platform without any checks and verifications, thereby attracting thousands of bogus merchants on board.
Ubuy has noot taken so long in the Uganda market. It has origins from Kuwait and has presence in over 90 countries. It is operated by Ubuy Holding Company SPC. Ubuy was founded in 2012 although it launched its operations in Uganda in 2020.
Just like Kikuu, Ubuy does not keep any stock at hand. All products on the site are imported from USA, UK, Japan, China, Hongkong and South Korea. Products are only imported upon placing order on order on their site. Typically, Ubuy ships their items in 5-10 business days.
You can get a variety of products on Ubuy including electronics, fashion items, home improvement items, cell phones and accessories, laptops, perfumes, beauty products, office products, skin care products and many more.
Ubuy isn’t exactly a shopping platform to go to if you’re looking for cheap products, but if you are looking for authentic products, this is one of the places to be.
Payment methods accepted by Ubuy Uganda
- Debit and Credit card payments
Shipping Methods at Ubuy Uganda
- Delivers directly at your doorstep
Shipping fees at Ubuy Uganda
At uUbuy, shipping fee varies depending on the origin of the product.
Why you should shop on Ubuy Uganda
- Authentic products from USA, UK, Japan, Hong Kong and China
Why you should not shop on Ubuy Uganda?
- Long delivery times
- Their products are insanely expensive. Their prices almost double or triple those in the local market.
- Mobile money payments not accepted
- High shipping fees
- Unreasonably high customs fees
- Poor customer service
- No clear guarantees or refund policy. Literally you buy at own risk.
My name is Charles Layoo, I am a tech blogger and an online shopping expert. If this article was helpful to you, please consider coming back next time for more. You can as well subscribe to my YouTube channel here.
Don’t want to miss out on any story? For updates on all ugtechub stories, follow this link on Telegram: https://t.me/ugtechub