The organizer of these awards is HiPipo, a leading digital age organization with operations covering digital innovation, financial inclusion, inclusive finance, events, awards, and music. HiPipo is keen to promote secure digital financial services because of their vital role in promoting financial inclusion.
Among the companies that competed for this year’s Digital Impact awards, it was MTN Uganda and its subsidiary company, MTN MoMo, that took home the lion’s share. Other companies that favorably competed were Centenary Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, and Stanbic Bank.
For the past four years the Digital Brand of the Year Award was dominated by the banks and this year MTN ended the four-year dominance.
Here are the awards.
- Financial Services Digital Excellence – MTN MoMo (Gold)
- Financial Inclusion Excellence. MTN MoMo Advance (Diamonds)
- Technology services Digital Excellence. MTN Uganda and MTN MoMo (Diamond)
- Digital brand of the Year. MTN Uganda and MTN Momo (Diamond)
MTN was pleased with the awards, and Richard Yego, managing director of MTN Uganda Ltd, stated, “We are very proud to receive these prestigious awards because it demonstrates that our efforts are having an impact in driving digital financial inclusion in serving our communities and societies.”
“We are very proud to receive these prestigious awards because it is a demonstration that our efforts are having an impact in driving digital financial inclusion in serving our communities and societies”
Building the largest and most valuable platforms, driving industry-leading connectivity operations, creating shared value, and accelerating portfolio transformation in Africa are MTN’s four clear strategic priorities. According to Yego, these strategies are embodied in Ambition 2025, which the company is committed to executing.
The organizers of these awards were happy with the companies that are leading Uganda’s digital and financial inclusion journey. “I am happy to see the progress that the country is making on matters of digital and financial inclusion. The efforts of the government and the private sector are all contributing to this success. “The Digital Impact Awards Africa continue to play a key awareness and appreciation role,” said Eng. David Karubanga, who is the Patron of HiPipo and a member of the Parliament of Kigorobya County.
The winners of these awards are selected based on various criteria some of which include
- Results from public voting.
- Submission of products and services to jury
The 2022 competition attracted about 1000 submissions from 11 categories, according to the organizers.
These are the 11 categories of the awards
- Financial Inclusion Excellence
- Digital Banking Excellence
- Banking Innovation Excellence
- Community/MFI Banking Innovation Excellence
- Fintech Innovation Excellence
- Financial Service Digital Excellence
- Consumer Goods Digital Excellence
- Utilities & Government Services Digital Excellence
- Technology Service Digital Excellence
- Digital Campaign Excellence
- and Digital Brand of the Year.